Tuesday, November 11, 2008

"Are you racist?"

Today I was walking around at lunch time when a girl I knew by face (not by name) came up to me.

"Can I ask you a question?", she asked me.

Sure....?

"Are you racist?"

No.

By this time I was thinking about the fact that one of my closest friends in the world is Black. She is intelligent, stylish, and beautiful. The colour of her skin would never make me think anything less of her. In fact, I think she is a very strong character which I admire. She is a trustworthy friend who has been there for me in my time of need. Anyways, back to the story...

"I heard you said a racist comment at Semi-Formal"

Wha....? Said what?

"Just something. Where you even at semi?"

Yeah.

"Oh ok. Thanks, bye."

How can she accuse me without even knowing if I did in fact attend Semi? Or without knowing anything about me? As a Mexican, I don't think I even have a right to be rasict. Wouldn't that be something. A person who is from a culture who is stereotyped frequently making fun of someone else. With all the tequila running through my veins, it's a miracle my uneducated brain can even type this out. Ughh.... that was sarcasm by the way.

After that incident, another girl approached me and asked me similar questions. Wow, rumors DO spread like wildfire.

I found out that I boldly stated that "Black girls can't dance" at Semi. Seriously, what the fuck. Who has the time to make these things up?

Of course, I don't blame them. They don't know me so they don't know how I act or how I am. But isn't that more reason as to not judge me?

No comments: