Sunday, October 25, 2009

Silence

So for my English class, the subject I wish to persue in University, we were asked to write poems based on a line from each act of Shakespeare's Hamlet. I thought this one of mine was quite good so, here you go, my act one poem:

I’m the secret keeper they slither and whisper to,
Curse and complain under the shadows
Of my blanket of trust: they gather
Bearing poisonous fruit from envious buds.

Grinding my teeth I hear to them, one by one
I see them approach with heads hung low
Silence is my master so I must obey
The bounding command to listen to their somber song.

I keep quiet, listening to their cutting words,
Listening to their nasty words,
Listening to their words,
Hurting, yelling, judging, remorseless.

But I refuse- I am done listening to this routine
I wish to speak, to scream of it
Gather my courage and tell of how
My patience has been worth thin

Restraint I must practice
This underestimated evil, this gossip continues
“It is not, nor it cannot come to good;
But break my heart, for I must hold my tongue!”
Act 1, Scene 2, Lines 158-159

No comments: