Monday, October 20, 2014

Shush

I fixed my skirt and got off the bed Conviction was carved into my heart  I was nine Hush little baby don't you cry Mama is going to sing you a lullaby  I went up the stairs and told her What had happened in the dragons den.  How he had sat beside me and spoken About the pieces on the chess board Hush little girl don't say a word I heard the silence before she said it  She spoke not of what he had done Or what she would say to him "Shh" she said. "You can not tell your dad Or let your brother know.  Shh I said! You can not tell your cousin Or aunt, or uncle or your school." The silence stretched for years I could hear its Echo when we talked It consumed my essence enveloped me in fog.  Rattled me with its loudness Hush little baby don't you cry Your daddy loves you and so do I.  So make sure the you don't sing  Or I'll break that birdies neck 

No comments: